Many expat students in Madrid attend international schools. Many international schools encourage expat families to enlist their children well before the beginning of the school calendar. Children are better off with international schools because they have more experience in educating students who have formerly studied different curricula.
If you want to catch a glimpse of the popular picture of expat education in Spain, watch the 2002 film, L’Auberge Espagnole. It provides a realistic account of foreign students adapting to the Spanish way of life, as well as the courtesies and cultural norms imposed in an entirely different culture.
The only schools in Madrid that use English as the medium of instruction are international and foreign private schools. Numerous multilingual international schools in the city also teach students in both Spanish and English. If you decide to send your children to regular schools, make sure that they speak Spanish as these schools will require them to study their subjects in Spanish. The International Baccalaureate (IB) may be an option if your family travels to many different countries, or if you simply want your children to have access to a more advanced educational model.
Here are some of the best schools in Madrid that use English as the medium of instruction:
- Colegio San Patricio Madrid (Address: Serrano, 208 28002 Madrid / Phone: +34 91 563 35 58)
- Colegio Base (Address: Camino Ancho, 10, La Moraleja Alcobendas, Madrid / Phone: +34 91 650 0494)
- International College Spain (Address: C/Vereda Norte, #328100 Alcobendas Madrid / Phone: 34 91 650 2398)
- International Primary School (Address: Rosa Jardon 3 28016 Madrid / Phone: +34 91 803 4800)
- Juventud y Cultura (Address: C/ Alcala 42, 5a. 13-14 8014 Madrid / Phone: +34 91 531 2886)
- Numont School (Address: Calle Parma 16 28043 Madrid / Phone: +34 91 300 2431)
- The English Montessori School (Address: Avda La Salle S/N. 28023 Aravaca Madrid / Phone: +34 91 357 2667)
- American School of Madrid (Address: Apdo. 80 28080 Madrid / Phone: +34 91 740 1900)
- Evengelical Christian Academy (Address: Talia 26 28022 Madrid / Phone:+34 (0)91 7412900)
- British Council School of Madrid (Address: Solano, prado de Somasaguas Pozuelo de Alarcon 23223 Madrid / Phone: +34 91 337 3612)
- King’s College Madrid (Address: Paseo de los Andes, Soto de Vinuelas 28761 Madrid / Phone: +34 91 803 4800)
- Runnymede College (Address: Calle Salvia, 30 28109 La Moraleja / Phone: +34 (0)91 650 8302 / Fax:+34 (0)91 6508236 / Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The British Kindergarten (Address: c/Lopez Santos No. 1 Ctra de la Cornua Km 17 28230 las Rosas Madrid / Phone: +34 91 637 0127)